Saturday, February 03, 2007

Recovering From A Bad Flash

Dee has had a problem with her computer refusing to boot recently. It was just hanging at "Verifying DMI Pool Data..." I ruled out the hard-drive as the cause because when I plugged it into my computer, it worked fine. I cleared the CMOS and tried again - but that didn't work, so I decided to flash the BIOS to the latest version. It got most of the way through when disaster struck! It rebooted for no apparent reason. The worst thing was that when it booted, it didn't do anything! I shut it down and cleared the CMOS again, but when I powered it up - nothing happened. Everything powered up OK, but there was no 'beep' from the POST tests, no attempt to read the floppy drive - nothing!

Fortunately, all was not lost. I found a company called Biosflash UK who for less than £10 reflashed the chip with the BIOS file I e-mailed , and also sent me a chip extraction tool. When I got it back a couple of days later and put it in, everything worked! It booted straight back into Windows no problem!

No comments: