Sunday, November 19, 2006

Animal Crossing


I have been playing the game animal crossing for the Nintendo DS since June, ( when I got my DS Lite), and to be honest didn't think i'd still be playing it so regularly a few months down the line from buying it. Most of the games I buy, I play lots for the first few weeks then my interest wanes somewhat.
What makes it more strange that I have kept playing for so long is that there isn't any kind of objective to it, you pretty much do what you want. You can fish, catch bugs, go shopping, chat with the locals, visit the museum and have a cup of coffee in the cafe.
There are some challenges set, like enlarging your home, starting with a small hut with the possibility of graduating to a mansion, by way of paying of the ever increasing morgages from Tom Nook, (local shop owner/builder) at the town hall. You are also challenged to make your house nice in order to get a good rating from the Happy Room Academy, by colleting series of furniture and applying feng shui principles of decorating.
You earn money by selling things, like fruit, bugs, shells etc. or running errands for your neighbours, like delivering mail and presents. I'm currently saving up (you get a saving account at the town hall) to pay off my final mortgage of 948000 bells (ACWW currency), I'm saving rather than paying of bits 'cos you get interest on savings, but you don't pay it on the mortgage. Have saved 323000 bells so far, have a long way to go :(

No comments: